Part 1 大學課堂內外交際英語(2 / 3)

先考外語,比如TOEFL或GRE什麼的。如果成績好,你可以申請獎學金。

A: How about you?

你怎麼樣?

B: I got a 580 on the TOEFL this time. Thereu0027s not much hope, and the GRE score hasnu0027t come out yet. Iu0027ve sent out several application letters, but I havenu0027t got anything back.Are you planning to further your studies abroad?

這回我TOEFL才考了580分,看來希望不大,GRE成績還沒下來。我發了幾封申請信,可連一封回信都沒有。你也想出國深造嗎?

A: Me to study abroad? When pigs fly?

我去留學?除非太陽從西邊出來!

B: How come you havenu0027t got any ambition?

你怎麼這麼沒誌氣?

A: I do have. I am busy preparing for the examination for entering Qinghua University to work for the degree of Master of Science.And in there years Iu0027ll be the most famous professoru0027s Ph.D. student.

我當然有誌氣。我正忙著準備考試進清華大學攻讀理科碩士學位,3年之後我還會成為最有名的教授的博士生。

8 Borrowing books(借書)

A: Iu0027d like to borrow these four books.

我想借這4本書。

B: Have you got your library card?

你帶圖書證了嗎?

A: Yes, right here.

是的,在這兒。

B: Youu0027ve already had five books out, so you can only take out one more.

你已借了5本,所以你隻能再借1本。

A: Then Iu0027ll just take out this one.

那麼我隻借這本吧。

B: Okay, hereu0027s the book and your card.

好的,這是你的書和圖書證。

A: Thanks. Bye.

謝謝。再見。

9 Returning an overdue book(歸還過期書籍)

A: Iu0027d like to return this book,please.

我想歸還這本書。

B: Itu0027s overdue. It should have been returned last Friday.

它已經過期了,應該在上星期五還。

A: Iu0027m sorry! Do I have to pay a fine?

對不起!我要繳付罰金嗎?

B: You sure do. Itu0027s been overdue for nine days, so thatu0027s 90 cents.

當然要。它已過期9天,所以要付9角。

A: Here you go.

錢在這。

B: Thanks. Hereu0027s your change.

謝謝。這是找給你的錢。

10 I could eat a horse! (我餓極了!)

A: Iu0027m starving! How about you?

我快要餓死了!你呢?

B: Iu0027m pretty hungry, too.

我也相當餓。

A: Did you have your breakfast this morning?

今天早上你吃早飯了嗎?

B: Yes. Steamed bread, rice porridge.

吃了。饅頭,米粥。

A: You shouldnu0027t feel hungry in that case.

那你不該再感覺餓了。

B: I donu0027t know why. I just canu0027t fill the hole.

我不知道為什麼。我就是填不飽肚子。

A: You certainly have a good appetite.

你的食欲一定很好。

B: Did you have your breakfast?

你吃早飯了嗎?

A: No. I got up at half past seven.When I dashed to the dining-hall, it had closed already.

沒有。我七點半起床。當我衝進餐廳時,已經關門了。

B: So, it serves you right!

那活該!

A: You bad fellow. Iu0027ll teach you a lesson.

11 你這個壞小子。我要教訓你一頓。

Whou0027s it?(誰來了?)A: (Knocking at the door) May I come in?

(敲門聲)我可以進來嗎?

B: Yes, who is it? Come in,please.

是誰?請進!

A: Excuse me, is this Fang Huau0027s room?

打擾了,方華在這兒住嗎?

B: Yes, but she is not in at the moment.

是的,可她這會兒不在。

A: Do you know where she is now?

你知道現在她在哪兒嗎?

B: Iu0027m not sure. Well,please take a seat. Iu0027ll try to find her for you. She canu0027t be far at this hour of the day.

我不太清楚。請坐!我找找看。她這個時候不會走遠。

A: Thank you. Itu0027s very kind of you.

謝謝。你太好了。

12 I canu0027t sleep!(我睡不著!)

A: Why arenu0027t you asleep yet?

怎麼還不睡呀?

B: I canu0027t sleep. Will you talk with me?

睡不著。願意陪我聊聊嗎?

A: Of course.I guess youu0027ve got something on your mind.

當然,猜想你一定有心事。

B: En...how to say...I want to part with Li Na.

……怎麼說呢。我打算和李娜分手。

A: Arenu0027t things OK with you two? Everyone envies you.

你們倆不是挺好的嗎?人家都羨慕你們。

B: You donu0027t know; sheu0027s “looking for greener pastures\" now.

你不知道,她現在是“這山望著那山高”。

A: What? You have belived the gossip spreading among some students recently? How silly you are! It seems true that if a lie is told a hundred times, it becomes truth.

什麼?你真的相信最近的流言蜚語?你可真夠傻!看來還真是這麼回事,假話說上一百遍就成了真話。

B: Thatu0027s really something making me worry and unhappy.

這件事真是讓我擔心,又不開心。

A: Donu0027t worry over for nothing. I think you must have mistaken her. She is not such kind of a girl. Remember choosing a girlfriend by your eyes rather than by your ears. I should say LI Na is a true pal and good girl.

別自尋煩惱了。你一定是誤解她了,她可不是那種女孩子。記住,找女朋友要用眼睛看不要聽別人說。我應該說一句,李娜不僅夠朋友,還是個好女孩。

13 Asking for a leave (捎假)

A: Whatu0027s the matter with you,Fang Hua?

方華,你怎麼了?

B: Iu0027m not feeling very well. Will you please tell the teacher I wonu0027t be able to come to the class today?

我不舒服,你能告訴老師我今天不能去上課嗎?

A: Oh, Iu0027m sorry.(feeling his forehead lovingly) Youu0027re running a fever. How long have you been like that?

噢,是嗎。(輕撫他的前額)你在發燒。你不舒服多久了?

B: It started yesterday.

昨天。

A: Have you seen a doctor?

看醫生了嗎?

B: Not yet.

還沒有。

A: Is there anything I can do for you?

我能為你做些什麼?

B: Not now, thank you.

現在不用,謝謝。

A: Iu0027ll certainly let the teacher know this, but be sure to take a good rest and drink a lot of hot water.

我肯定告訴老師,不過你一定要好好休息,多喝些熱水。

B: Thank you. Bye!

謝謝你。再見!

14 Stand treat! (請客!)

A: Li Bin, you should treat us to some candy.

李斌,你應該請我們吃糖。

B: Whatu0027s good for me?

我有什麼好事?

A: Make a guess.

猜猜看!

B: I canu0027t.

猜不出來。

A: Here is a letter for you from a university with letters in delicate hand.It must be a love letter. Oh, stand treat!

這兒有你的一封信,從一所大學來的。信封上的字體娟秀,一定是情書,請客!

B: Donu0027t talk nonsense. Itu0027s from my sister.

別瞎說,這是我妹妹的來信。

A: What did she say?

她說什麼了?

B: The same old stuff! Study hard, donu0027t drink,donu0027t smoke, a long list of dou0027s and donu0027ts.

還不是老一套。努力學習呀、別喝酒啦、不要吸煙了,列了一大堆該做的和不該做的事情。

15 Itu0027s too hot! (天氣真熱!)

A: How come youu0027re all sweaty? Have a seat and some tea.

你怎麼一身汗? 快坐下喝口茶吧。

B: Itu0027s really so hot I could die. I never would have thought the summer here could be so hot.

真把我熱死了。沒想到這兒的夏天這麼熱。

A: This is the first summer since you have been hare at college, isnu0027t it?

這是你入學以來在這裏過的第一個夏天吧?

B: Yeah. This hot sticky weather makes me feel absolutely miserable. All that the fan blows is hot air, and everyday I just want to take a dunk in the pool.

是的,這種又熱又粘的天氣讓我感覺十分不舒服。電扇吹出來的都是熱風,每天隻想泡在遊泳池裏。

A: It was said in the newspaper that we are having the highest temperatures in history this year.And the average temperature has already passed 38 degrees Celsius.

據上說今年是曆史上氣溫最高的一年,平均氣溫已經超過38度了。

B: Oh, I must be going now. I am looking for Wang Gang.Where does he live? Am I on the right floor?

哦,我得去找王剛了。他在哪兒住?是在這層嗎?

A: No,he lives on the fifth floor.You can take the stairs on the left up.

不,他在五樓住。你可以從左邊的樓梯上去。

16 Going to hospital (去醫院)

A: Whatu0027s the matter with your foot?

你的腳怎麼了?

B: I fell down the steps just now.

剛才我從樓梯上滑倒了。

A: Let me have a look.

讓我看看。

B: Ouch! That hurts.

哎喲!好疼!

A: Would you let me to take you to the hospital? You might have broken a bone.

要我送你去醫院嗎?你可能骨折了。

B: Itu0027s very kind of you. But someone is getting a car for me. Thank you just the same.

你太好了。有人給我叫車了,謝謝你。

17 Have you been to see a doctor?

(你看醫生了嗎?)A: You look ill.

你看起來不很好。

B: Iu0027m under the weather. I feel cold and tired.

我感覺不舒服,又累又冷。

A: Youu0027re running a temperature. Have you seen a docor?

你在發燒。看過醫生了嗎?

B: No. I just came back from the library.

沒有。我剛從圖書館回來。

A: Youu0027d better go and see a doctor at once. Shall I go with you to the clinic?

你最好馬上去看醫生。我跟你一起去診所吧!

B: Wonu0027t that be too much bother?

那不是太麻煩你了嗎?

A: No bother at all.

沒關係。

18 Playing cards (打牌)

A: Thatu0027s great! Weu0027ve finally finished our mid-term examination. How happy we are!

太棒了!期中考試總算結束了。我們太幸福了!

B: Yes, thatu0027s really great! We can have 3 days for a rest and relax ourselves. What idea do you have in your mind?

是的,太美了!我們有3天時間休息。打算做點兒什麼?

A: Itu0027s nearly half a year since we last played cards. Are you thinking we will ask several classmates to play cards the whole night?

我們已經有半年沒打牌了。你想不想找幾個人玩上一個通宵?

B: Thatu0027s a good idea. So we can play cards this whole night and have a sound sleep tomorrow.

這是個好主意。今天晚上我們可以玩一個通宵,明天好好睡一覺。

A: Who do you have in mind?

你看叫誰好?

B: I think weu0027d better ask Wang Fei, Li Jiang, Ma Li and perhaps Zhang Jian.

我想最好叫王飛、李江、馬力和張健。

A: Thatu0027s pretty good combination. We are getting on well with cach other in everything. What do you want me to do?

這樣的組合很好,我們幾個人什麼事情都能說到一起。我現在該做些什麼?

A: Please tell them to come our dorm at 7:30 this evening. Iu0027ll arrange for it.

通知他們晚上七點半到咱們宿舍來。我做好安排。

B: OK, all right.

好的。

19 Swimming game(遊泳比賽)

A: The competition is already started. There are many spectators in the stands.Letu0027s hurry and cheer for them.

比賽開始了。看台上有這麼多的觀眾。我們快點給他們回油去。

B: Look! What a beautiful stroke he swims! I havenu0027t seen such a good swimmer for a long time.

快看,他遊得多漂亮呀!我有好長時間沒看到過遊得這麼好的人了。

A: That is our English teacher. He is excellent at swimming. He will, on behalf of this University, take part in the National Sports Meet for the Middle and Old Aged People to be held in Beijing next month.

那是我們的英語老師,他遊泳可棒了。下個月他將代表咱們學校參加在北京舉行的中老年人全國運動會。

B: How great he is! I hear he can swim freestyle, sidestroke and breastsroke very well.

他可真了不起!我聽說他自由泳、側泳和蛙泳都遊得非常好。

A: I hear some ice sports like skating and ice dancing and water-skiing are also included in the Sports Meet, arenu0027t they?

據說全運會還沒有像滑冰和冰上舞蹈這樣的冰上運動及滑水運動,是吧?

B: Yes. There are a lot of items in small amount of exercise specially provided for the middle and old aged people, such as ball games,setting-up exercise to music, golf and so on.

是的。還有許多適合中老年人運動量小的項目,比如球類、廣播體操、高爾夫球等。

A: There he comes. He is sure to win, for he keeps the lead all the time.In two or three minutes he will get to the finishing line.

老師遊過來了!他一路領先,肯定拿第一。再有兩三分鍾就到終點了。

B: Shall we go over there to give him our congratulations?

咱們趕到那邊去祝賀他嗎?

A: Yes, sure. Letu0027s go at once.

好,我們趕緊走。

20 After the ball game (球賽之後)

A: Did you watch the game last night?

你昨晚看球賽了嗎?

B: I surely did. I wouldnu0027t have missed it for anything!

當然看了。忘了什麼也不能忘了球賽呀!

A: I think it is one of the best games Iu0027ve ever seen.

我認為這是我看過的最精彩的比賽了。

B: Me,too. I think both teams played super ball. Too bad one had to lose.

我也這麼看。我認為兩個人都踢得相當好,可惜的是總有一方得輸。

A: Yeah. I think they were evenly matched. It could have gone either way!

是呀。我認為雙方水平相當,都有可能輸或贏。

B: The shot that won in the last fifteen seconds was really something.

最後15秒時射進的那個球決定了勝負。

21 Sports meet(運動會)

A: Hurry up! Otherwise weu0027ll be late for the opening ceremony.

快點!否則我們趕不上開幕式了。

B: Ok! Just a minute. Iu0027m putting on my sports shoes.

好的,就一會兒。我穿上運動鞋。

A: What events are you in?

你有什麼項目?

B: 100-meter dash, 110-meter hurdle, 800-meter run and 400-meter relay.

100米短跑、110米障礙、800米和400米接力。

A: I guess you are a very fast runner.

我看你一定跑得非常快。

B: Iu0027m particularly fond of all kinds of races.

我的強項是各種徑賽。

A: Whatu0027s your record for 100-meter dash?

你的100米紀錄是多少?

B: 11.3 seconds.

11秒3。

A: Ah! It reminds me that you broke the university record last year. Yor are great!

啊,我想起來了,去年你還打破了學校紀錄,真了不起!

B: Thank you.

謝謝。

22 What do you think of disco?

(你怎樣看待迪斯科?)A: What do you think of disco?

你怎樣看待迪斯科?

B: Itu0027s more like sports than an art form.

這種舞與其說是一種藝術形式,倒不如說是一項體育運動。

A: Itu0027s still popular among many young people.

許多年輕人仍喜歡跳。

B: Yes, we also have disco parties on the campus.

是的,我們也有校園迪斯科舞會。

A: I think itu0027s easy to organize, since the dance is only accompanied by recorded music.

我想這很容易組織,因為它隻需要唱片伴奏。

B: Thatu0027s true.

是這樣。

23 Learning to play the guitar(學彈吉他)

A: I have started learning to play the guitar.

我開始學彈吉他了。

B: Are you taking lessons?

你在上吉他課嗎?

A: Not regular lessons. Only that Iu0027ve talked to people who play the guitar, and got the basic ideas.

沒有正規上課,隻是同會彈吉他的人聊過,懂得了一些初步概念。

B: Are you making progress?

彈得有進步了嗎?

A: Yes, a lot.Two of my classmates play the guitar together with me.